Long time no post but hard work… I have been trying to figure out making ball&socket armatures. I wanted to post when I HAD something to show.
I first started with a wire armature for Kush but after couple of different wire tests, I decided to try ball joints for the bird armature. Kush will make a lot of things like flying, landing, shaking head, sitting,.. so she need to have a good bird armature. Shoulder joints are the ones who break easily. Now I am working on an bird armature mixed ball joints and wire/epoxy.
Here is my first ball joint. ( I will round the corners of plates around the ball)
Since I started stop motion I have learnt a lot of things but this has the been the hardest one for me. Working with metals is not the problem. Finding the right materials is the hardest thing. I live in a small town not much alternatives here.
Anyways.. Kush’s bird armature will be mixed ball joints and wire with epoxy putty. I will post details later as I am still working on the bird armature.
I have DREMEL 300 to cut metals, Black &Decker drill (not a drill mill..) and DREMEL VersaTip for welding. I use brass plates, steel balls and rods, silver wire for welding. I was not able to drill the balls so instead I cut the ball and placed rod inside for welding as it is shown on the first picture. It is now pretty strong after welding. There are many good articles, tutorials about making ball & socket armatures on the web and I will post URLs later with my tutorial.
And another thing… Hey I now have liquid latex. This might seem funny but I have been tring to find liquid latex for the last 8 months. Last week my sister came here with a bottle of liquid latex she bhought in Istanbul at Armagan Boya in Karakoy. Many thanks to my friend Niyazi who told me about this store and to my sister who went there and picked up a bottle to bring here. She also found some very nice eagle feathers. Very dark and shinny.. Those would look great on Kush.
Here is my first liquid latex covered hand:
As this is a test; two fingers are direct liquid latex over wire and others covered with pantyhose before latex. It works pretty good and I am soooooo happy to have liquid latex.
EDIT on 7th:
Yesterday I posted on stopmotionanimation.com asking for reviews of the bird armature drawing I made. Most of the people replied writing me about the metal thickness of the ball joint I made. They were telling me to use thicker ones. I have limited machinery and I was not sure if I could cut thicker metals. Today, I wanted to give it a try and bhought some thicker brass. And it worked! I can cut and shape thicker brass with Dremel tool. And the result after long dusty process:
This thing is really small.. I could not believe for a while that I did this. 12×8 mm
And another BIG BIG process for me… I was able to drill the ball !!!! (6mm) I applied a special treatment to the ball to make the steal softer and vaowww I was able to drill it. I will post about this unique information an old person gave me here, later with my tutorial post. So, thats all for now. Tomorrow is a big day,.. working on real joints… no more tests..